22 January 2007

Evolution Dyno Tested!

So today I went over to my friend's shop (who happens to have a dyno) to tune my Evolution and see what kind of power it would make. He owns and operates Munoa Performance here in Orem, UT.

To give a little background, I put it on the dyno shortly after purchasing it and it started out with 254 all wheel horsepower, and, after some ECU tuning made 274 awhp. Since then I have added an exhaust (not of the fart can variety found on most Civics and WRX's), and few motor goodies and some good old fashioned elbow grease.

We started the festivities with 298 hp, peaked at 328, and settled in safely at 325 awhp. The car feels good and pulls hard, almost to the point where it feels as though the front wheels are getting not quite loose. It is important to remember that these numbers are TO THE GROUND. Not at the engine's crankshaft as all manufacturers rate their cars. With an estimated drive train loss of about 26% that brings crankshaft horsepower up to around 410. You can compare that with numbers in Car and Driver, or Motor Trend. Anyway, it was fun.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Your blog has the best graphics of anyone's.

I'm glad you're gonna blog.

brad said...

holy crap thats a lotta power. Have u seen my new and upcoming blog? voyagerftw.blogger.com

Erich said...

Dude you could make prolly just as much power with the voyager!